There is an Art to Difficult Conversations
Managing difficult conversations may be the most important skill on the planet because so much of your success hinges on your ability to work effectively with others.
I say skill, because this is something you learn. Regardless of where you are today, you can get better at handling difficult conversations.
How Would You Rate Yourself?
If you’re a 9 or 10, you don’t need to read past this paragraph because you already handle difficult conversations with ease. You’re in complete control of your emotions, you communicate clearly, and all parties leave the conversation feeling respected and directed.
But for everyone else who dread these encounters…I have some great news!
Regardless of how you feel about these moments, you can learn to become a difficult conversation rockstar!
Difficult conversations come in all shapes and sizes:
- You need to tell your employee why they’re not getting a raise.
- You need to confront a coworker about an insensitive joke they told at lunch.
- You want to talk to your boss about something they did which wasn’t ethical.
Or, on a more personal note:
- You need to talk to your spouse about their attitude.
- Your neighbor’s dog keeps messing on your lawn.
- Your friend only calls you when they need something but they’re always busy when you need them.
These are complex interactions, where the stakes are often high and errors are costly.
And if you dread having difficult conversations, you’re not alone.
The High Cost of Stressful Encounters
What should you say? How do you begin the conversation? What if it goes poorly? What if the other person gets upset with you?
Just the thought of having the conversation can drain all your energy as you rehearse it over and over in your mind, stressing about what might go wrong.
What if you become emotional or break down and cry, leaving the other person to possibly think you’re weak?
At this point, many people decide to forget it altogether. After all, you don’t want to burden anyone.
So you tell yourself it’s fine, that you’ll just let this one go.
But you let the last one go, and deep down your angry at yourself for chickening out.
If you can relate, I get it, and it’s not your fault. In fact, your own brain is working against you when it comes to these difficult encounters.
Yes, your own brain!
I used to feel all of these things too until I learned the psychology behind these conversations.
This helped me see the conversation for what it is, sort of like when Neo begins to see The Matrix.
Once I did, I was able to develop a process I could use to engage in any conversation, no matter how difficult, to say what I needed to say in the most effective way possible.
Now I have the confidence to lean into any conversation because I have a framework that guides me.
The Art of Difficult Conversations
My name is James Robbins, and I’m a former pastor turned leadership expert and also the creator of The Art of Difficult Conversations.
It’s is an online training that helps you effectively handle tough, emotion-heavy conversations by following a simple 5-step framework.
When you put the steps into practice, you’ll notice your conversations will become less emotional, more effective, and you’ll no longer dread them like the plague.
Instead, you’ll be able to communicate clearly and get what you want without a stress-filled encounter where no one wins.
You’ll feel more confident with yourself, and others will benefit from your new-found candor.
Here’s What You’ll Learn
- How to successfully have difficult conversations so that all parties feel heard and respected.
- How to Identify and flex with different personality types and communication styles so that the conversation doesn’t get derailed.
- How to address tough and sensitive issues without the other person becoming defensive and difficult.
- How your brain works against you in difficult conversations and how to override its default setting so you can take control of the situation.
- The three most difficult conversations in the workplace.
- Three things you MUST do before beginning the conversation.
- The one thing you have to include when you invite them to talk or your conversation will be in trouble from the start.
- The crucial mindset shift you need to make once the conversation begins.
- One key phrase that will disarm the other person without sacrificing your truth.
- The four most common signs the person you’re speaking to is on the defense and how to deal wtih each one.
- How to quickly neutralize criticism directed at you during a difficult conversation to keep the talk from falling apart.
- Two things you must listen for as the other person tells their story.
- Three things you can do immediately to calm your emotions when they begin to rise during the conversation.
- What to do when you find yourself ambushed by a difficult conversation.
Training You Can Implement by Tomorrow
Within the first 30 minutes of this training, you’ll already feel more confident in how to approach your next difficult conversation.
By dinner time you’ll be able to wade into a conversation with less emotional triggers than before.
By using the framework, you’ll no longer feel inadequate or unprepared for even highly-charged conversations and instead of stressing about an upcoming talk, you can feel confident that you’re able to handle whatever comes your way.
Training For Your Entire Team
The Art of Difficult Conversations is not only for leaders but perfect for every employee in your organization. Armed with this training your employees will dramatically improve their ability to communicate and create highly functional and productive teams.
The amount of drama this training will reduce in your workplace is worth the price of the investment many times over.
What Others Have Said
“Actionable, great examples/situations, delivered in an interesting manner, loved the specific words/sentences to use that was very helpful.”
“I loved how clearly James laid out the steps. It was very logical and organized and allowed me to understand what needs to be done…”
“This training was excellent.”
Special New Program Discount
Every time I launch a new program to the public, I offer a large discount for the first 14 days. If improving the communication is a need in your workplace then be sure to take advantage of my 50% discount for early adopters.
This video training course takes approximately 110 minutes to complete and can be viewed on any computer, tablet, or mobile device.
This entitles you to lifetime access to this course.
This entitles you to unlimited attendees for a 12-month period.
- This training is video based and approximately 110 minutes in length.
- There are 11 training videos each lasting approximately 10 minutes each.
- There are four quizzes to test participant’s knowledge.
- You can access at any time on your own pace.
- When you purchase you will have instant accesss to the training.
If you feel like this course did not provide you with the tools to help you increase your ability to handle difficult conversations then simply send me an email and request a refund within 30 days and I will reimburse you immediately.
I want you to feel good about working with me and your success is important to me.